Brief Description: All applicants are invited for Fulbright Science and Innovation Graduate Awards to undertake postgraduate study or research at US institutions in fields related to science and innovation.
Fulbright New Zealand Graduate Awards can be utilized towards a Masters or PhD program, or grantees can participate as a Visiting Student Researcher (VSR). A VSR enables grantees to spend between 6 to a year examining or inquiring about a subject or proposed venture in the US, more often than not as a component of a degree program in New Zealand.
Fulbright New Zealand offers a scope of awards for New Zealanders and Americans needing to ponder, research, educate or show their work in each other’s nation. The Fulbright program of worldwide instructive trade was an activity of American Senator J. William Fulbright from Arkansas, who in the outcome of World War II trusted that shared comprehension between various nations and societies was significant to guarantee a serene future for the world.
- Level of Study: Awards are available to pursue postgraduate study programme.
- Study Subject: Fulbright Science and Innovation Graduate Awards are available in fields related to science and innovation. The awards are available in fields of science and innovation targeted to support New Zealand’s economic, social, environmental and cultural needs, and to build international science connections. This includes, but it is not limited to, science research of the highest quality; areas with relevance to current and emerging New Zealand industry, social and environmental needs; areas with potential to broaden the economy and increase connections between research and industries; sectors of future need or growth; areas supporting Vision Matauranga– unlocking the science and innovation potential of more knowledge, resources and people.
- Scholarship Worth: Approximately eight awards are granted annually, valued at up to US$40,000 (plus NZ$4,000 travel funding) for up to one year of study or research in the US. Students undertaking multi-year Masters or PhD degrees have the opportunity to apply for additional funding of up to US$30,000 towards their second year of study.
- Applicants Nationality: This scholarship is available for New Zealand citizens.
- Number of Scholarships: Approximately eight awards are granted annually.
- Scholarship/Study to be taken in (Country): USA
Eligible Countries: This scholarship is available for New Zealand citizens.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible, you must:
- Have achieved 480 points, which must include a completed undergraduate degree.
Fulbright New Zealand will also accept applications from candidates who were granted direct entry into the second year of a degree programme, therefore completing a 480-point degree with 360 points.
In exceptional circumstances, Fulbright New Zealand may consider the application of a student with a 360-point degree provided they have both:
– the strong support of their tertiary institution (from a Dean or member of senior management); and
– a conditional offer from a US institution;
- Not yet hold a doctoral degree;
- Plan to undertake full-time postgraduate study or research at a US institution for a period of at least six months; and
- Meet the citizenship requirements for this award.
Preference for Fulbright Science and Innovation Graduate Awards is given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright graduate award, or had extensive recent experience in the US (ie. have not studied, taught, researched or worked in the US for a period aggregating more than nine months/one academic year during the past five years).
Candidates may not pursue study or research activities that involve direct clinical patient contact. This can extend to the fields of Medical Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry, Psychological Counselling or any other field that requires direct clinical patient contact and/or prescribing or administering medication. Candidates with medical degrees may receive awards for advanced academic study, but not for internships or residencies. Awards shall not authorise activity for which a license to practice medicine or nursing is required.
English Language Requirements: If English is not your first language then you will need to show that your English language skills are at a high enough level to succeed in your studies.
How to Apply: To apply for the Fulbright Science and Innovation Graduate Awards, click the link below and create a login account to begin.
- You must complete and submit an online application by the application deadline;
- You must also submit all required support documents to us by the application deadline;
- Interviews will be held in Wellington. Fulbright New Zealand will pay the costs of travel to Wellington only for applicants residing in New Zealand. Applicants outside New Zealand who are unable to attend an interview in person may be disadvantaged;
- We will advise you of the outcome of your application in early October.
* Note that if the application deadline for the Fulbright Science and Innovation Graduate Awards fall on a weekend or public holiday, the deadline is extended to 5:00 pm on the next business day.
You should begin researching US institutions as soon as possible while awaiting the outcome of your application, bearing in mind that the closing date for applications to many institutions will fall in December. You should also plan to sit GMAT or GRE tests as required by the institutions you intend applying to. Ideally, you should sit the tests in time to include results with your applications (note that for paper-based GRE tests this means sitting the tests by October at latest).
Applications Deadline: August 1, 2018