Association of Research Institutes in Art History East Asia Fellowship in USA- 2018
Brief Description: Applicants from East Asian countries are hereby invited to apply for the 2018 ARIAH East Asia Fellowship Program. This fellowship is available to carry out a research at an ARIAH member institute on any topic in the visual arts. Only eligible applicants will be considered.
About The Host Institution:
- Level of Study: ARIAH East Asia Fellowship is available to pursue Research.
- Study Subject: One fellowship per year (supported specifically by the Terra Foundation for American Art) is offered for research on topics related to the art of the United States before 1980. Topics for all other fellowships are open, as long as they can be supported by research on the collections of the host institute.
- Scholarship Worth: ARIAH East Asia Fellowship cover the cost of international travel, lodging, other living expenses, health insurance, and research travel within North America (or between North America and Europe). Specific details of the award, including the overall sum, vary according to the policies of the host institutions.
- Applicants Nationality: Students from East Asian countries are eligible to apply for the ARIAH East Asia Fellowship.
- Number of Scholarships: The ARIAH East Asia Fellowship Program offers four fellowships per year over a three-year period.
- Scholarship/Study to be taken in (Country): USA
Eligible Countries: Students from East Asian countries are eligible to apply (Brunei, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, Laos, North Korea, Mongolia, Myanmar, South Korea, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, and Taiwan).
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
The fellowship is open to scholars from East Asia, as defined by the United Nations to include Japan, Mongolia, the People’s Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macau), Republic of China (Taiwan), and South Korea, working in any area related to ARIAH member institutes’ collections and libraries. Applicants should hold an advanced degree and/or demonstrate a record of scholarly achievement. Candidates may be affiliated with research institutes, universities, or museums, or be working independently. Competence in the English language, especially spoken, is an essential requirement, as fellows must be prepared to travel alone without translators or escorts. Preference will be given to early and mid-career professionals and to those who have not previously had significant opportunity to study in North America or Europe. Specialists in all fields related to the visual arts are encouraged to apply and will be asked to identify their preferred host institute.
English Language Requirements: Competence in the English language, especially spoken, is an essential requirement, as fellows must be prepared to travel alone without translators or escorts.
How to Apply:
Fellowships are awarded through a competitive application process. Candidates must apply online at the website. As part of the application, candidates are to indicate their preference for a host institution from among ARIAH’s 27 members and identify how the collections of that institution will support their research. Applications are evaluated by representatives of ARIAH member institutions and by academic specialists. A small number of finalists are invited to participate in telephone interviews. Host institutes have the opportunity to approve each appointment.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2018