Sweden is one of the largest countries in Europe is, actually the fourth largest in terms of landmass. Due to its landmass, poses to be the largest in northern Europe. The kingdom of Sweden is one of the affordable countries to live in. Thus convenient for students around the world to study for any program. Thus, statistics show that if not until 2011 Sweden was one of the few European countries where free tuition was rendered. This was available both for EU and NON-EU students. Though currently, it is only students that possess EU/EEA or Switzerland passport are eligible to free tuitions to study in Sweden.
Nonetheless, there are several Swedish scholarships for African students. A good number of universities still offer scholarships for African students. Hence, to help them ease the stress of studies and still obtain a quality education. Hence, the best Swedish scholarships for African students who wish to study a master’s program in Sweden will be enlisted. Also will render guidelines on how to apply for each of them to ease the stress of much research.
Thus, the scholarships for African students will be categorized into two;
- Government Scholarships for International students
- University scholarships for international students.
1. Government Scholarships for International students
Government scholarships for international students are scholarships given to international students by the Sweden Government. Thus, the best two available scholarships available for international students who want to study in Sweden.
- The Visby Programme Scholarships
- Swedish Institue Scholarships For Global Professionals
The Visby Programme Scholarships:
The Visby programme scholarships for master level studies is been organized by the SI (Sweden Institute). Thus, the Sweden institute is a body responsible for creating and promoting growth, development and relational attractiveness to the Swedish economy.
Thus, the Visby programme scholarships are only available to international students intending to study a masters programme in Sweden. The scholarship programme is loaded with tons of benefits.
Benefits Of The Visby Programme Scholarships:
- Full tuition fees directly paid to the university by the Sweden institute.
- Living expenses are taken care of. A monthly grant worth of SEK 10,000 is given to each student.
- A travel grant worth SEK 5,00 is given to each scholar.
- Insurance against illness and accidents. Family members also included.
- Free membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL).
- Also free membership of the SI Alumni Network after your scholarship period. An avenue for further professional development and to stay in touch.
Number Of Awardees:
Only 65 eligible and qualified persons will be awarded the scholarship. Scholarships are purely awarded based on merit.
Only students who intend studying their master’s program in Sweden and are currently citizens and living in the following countries will be eligible. Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia or Ukraine.
Applicants are expected to have admitted to any Sweden university of their choice for masters programme before applying.
Currently, the application for this year is closed. But the application period for every academic year is always on the 4-14 February each year.
Scholarship programme: Masters Programme.
Swedish Institue Scholarships For Global Professionals:
The Swedish Institute scholarships for global professionals (SISGP) is still been organized by the Sweden institute. The same organization is responsible for the Visby scholarship programme. The major difference between the SISGP and Visby programme is the eligible countries. Also, one of the eligibility criteria is based on work experience.
Benefits of The Swedish Institute Scholarships For Global Professionals:
All benefits attainable in the Visby scholarship programme is also given to scholars of SISGP. Thus, one can only apply to either of the scholarships.
Number Of Awardees:
SISGP awards for up to 650 masters programme in their scholarship scheme in every academic year.
Interestingly, More countries are eligible for SISGP including African countries. Thus, this is one of the good scholarships for African students. Hence, the eligible countries are;
Bangladesh; Bolivia; Brazil; Cambodia; Cameroon; Colombia; Ecuador; Egypt; Ethiopia; Gambia; Ghana; Guatemala; Honduras; Indonesia; Jordan; Kenya; Liberia; Malawi; Morocco; Myanmar (Burma); Nepal; Nigeria; Pakistan; Peru; Philippines; Rwanda; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Tanzania; Tunisia; Uganda; Vietnam; Zambia; Zimbabwe.
NOTE: Citizens of dual citizenship that qualifies both for the Visby and SISGP programme are advised to apply only for one of the programme.
Nevertheless, are several eligibility criteria available before considering applying for the SISGP programme.
- You must have leadership qualities and experience.
- Applicants must have working experience before applying. Usually, one must have worked at least 3,000 hours’ work experience before the application start date.
Thus, the Visby scholarship programme and the Swedish Institue for global professionals start and end dates are simultaneous.
Hence, for more information on the SISGP scholarship kindly visit their webpage.
2. University scholarships for international students:
University scholarships for international students are those scholarship programs given to students by the university. Thus this entails that you should have been running a program with the school. Still, it could be that you have been admitted by the school. Thus, the best scholarships for African students available in Sweden will be enlisted below;
- The Boras University Scholarships
- The Karolinska Institutet Global Master’s Scholarships
- University of Gothenburg Study Scholarships
The Boras University Scholarships:
Thus, the University of Boras is one of the esteemed universities in Sweden. The university was founded in 1977. Hence, the school is well recommended for its vast learning materials available to assist a student scale through.
Benefits Of The Boras University Scholarships:
- The university only offers to cover 75% of the tuition fee
- They don’t cover the cost of living.
- The payment of the scholarship is done through the school.
Number Of Awardees:
Not specified. Thus, the scholarship will be awarded based on merits and the number of qualified applicants.
All students of the university both EU and non-EU students.
Every intending Applicants must have been admitted to the school before the application date.
The application for scholarships for the autumn semester 2019 has closed. Thus the application form is always available February each year.
The Karolinska Institutet Global Master’s Scholarships:
The Karolinska institute’s global master’s scholarship is organized by the Karolinska university. This university is one of the renown university in Sweden. It is also the best school to study medical-related courses in the world. It is well known for her leading research in medical fields.
Benefits Of The Karolinska Institue Global Master’s Scholarships:
The Karolinska institute’s global master’s scholarship programme only covers the tuition fees of the scholars. Thus, all applicants should meet living expenses.
Number Of Awardees:
The number of scholarships awarded from year to year is not specified. Though, the maximum of ten scholarships is awarded each year.
Applicants for this scholarship are any student from outside the EU/EEA.
To be eligible for this scholarship programme, you must be an intending master student that meets these criteria;
- Must have applied for your intending master programme at the university.
- You must have fulfilled the entry requirements for the master’s programme you applied for.
- Applicants must be a tuition-paying student from outside EU/EEA.
NOTE: Only students in their first year are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
The scholarship application for this year has ended. But, the application is usually opened in February.
Also, Check: Tylenol Scholarship Application
University of Gothenburg Study Scholarships:
The University of Gothenburg study scholarship is sponsored by the Swedish Council for Higher Education and the Adlerbertska Foundations. Thus, the scholarship is only available to master students who intend studying in Gothenburg. The university is situated in the largest city in Sweden, Gothenburg.
Benefits Of The Gothenburg Study Scholarships:
Hence, the University of Gothenburg offers several scholarships which are listed below;
- The scholarship programme covers tuition fees for a Master’s programme at the University of Gothenburg
- Also, an additional 27 000 SEK per study semester is given to scholars.
- The FAS plus insurance for fee-paying students
Number Of Awardees:
The number of awards to be given is not specified. But, awards are purely awarded on merit.
Any students who meet the eligibility criteria are due to apply.
To be eligible for the University of Gothenburg study scholarship one must meet to the following criteria;
- The student should be liable to pay tuition fees to Swedish universities.
- The student must have applied for a Master’s programme, full-time studies, at the University of Gothenburg by 15 January 2019.
- Applicants must have paid the application fee and documented your eligibility for studies by 1 February 2019.
The scholarship application for this year has closed. Thus, the new date for application will be communicated when it is available. The application usually starts in February.