Gates Cambridge Scholarship is now open for students from outside the UK to study in Cambridge. Thus, Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship awarded to outstanding international students to undertake a postgraduates courses from the list of courses offered at Cambridge University UK. The Gates Cambridge Scholarship program targets building a global network of future leaders that will be committed to promoting other’s lives. Cambridge University is one of the prestigious universities in England UK.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship was established Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to Cambridge University. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation made a huge and the biggest single donation ever in the UK to support education. The scholarship program began in October 2000. A sum of US$210m was donated by the foundation for this scholarship program.
Hence, the 2020 entry for the scholarship application is now open and a fully-funded award is targeted to be given to about 80 winners of the scholarship program. The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is aimed more at students outside the UK that want to pursue full-time postgraduate studies at Cambridge University. A rough percentage of two-third of the awards are offered Ph.D. students, with about 25 awards available in the US round while 55 are available in the International round.
The selection process for the winners of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is purely based on merit. Thus, below are the major selection criteria for this scholarship program;
- The applicants for this scholarship program must give a strong reason for their chosen course of study.
- Applicants must portray leadership potentials.
- The students must have a commitment to promoting the lives of others
- The student must be academically strong and show high intellectual ability.
Benefits of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship program covers eventually all the cost of studying at Cambridge University and some discretionary costs. This is irrespective of your choice of course study. Hence, below are a load of benefits accessible to winners of the scholarship award;
- The scholarship will cover the university tuition fee at the required rate.
- A maintenance allowance is given to each scholar of the program. Students will receive £17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months. For Ph.D. scholars, the award runs for up to four years of their degree.
- A single economy airfare is provided on both the beginning and end of the course program.
- The scholarship program supports inbound visa costs and the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
Some discretionary costs are covered by the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. Discretionary costs are the available amount of money that will be spent on things that are not necessary but may be considered useful. Thus, the discretionary costs covered by the Gates Cambridge Scholarship program includes;
- Academic development funding worth up to £500 to £2,000 is given to students. This depends on the length of the scholar’s course. It is used to attend conferences and courses.
- A family allowance that is up to £10,120 for a first child in a family and up to £4,320 for a second child. Though, funding is not provided for a partner.
- Winners may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your Ph.D.
- Maternity/Paternity funding is also granted to scholars on this scholarship program. If the student requires it, you may apply to stop your program for a transient moment for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time.
- The scholarship program also covers hardship funding to cover for unforeseen difficulties
Number of Awardees:
The scholarship program is awarded to 80 students each year. A rough percentage of two-third of the awards are offered Ph.D. students, with about 25 awards available in the US round while 55 are available in the International round.
To be eligible for the Gates Cambridge scholarship, students must meet the following requirements;
- Intending applicants must be a citizen of a country outside the united kingdom.
- Intending applicants must be applying to study a full-time postgraduate degree at Cambridge University. Though, some postgraduate courses are exempted from this scholarship application. You can see them below.
- Students already undertaking a program in the school are not eligible to apply for this scholarship program. Though, they can only be eligible if they are also applying for a second degree.
Courses Supported by the Scholarship program:
- One year postgraduate course
Courses not Supported for the Scholarship Program:
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
How To Apply:
To apply for the Gates Cambridge scholarship, students are to first apply for admission on a postgraduate degree of choice at the school. After this, apply for various sources of funding (including Gates Cambridge) through the University’s Graduate Applicant Portal.
The selection procedures for the winners of the Gates scholarship program. Thus, below are the series of stages undergone to determine the bright students that will be considered for this scholarship program;
- Departmental Ranking:
The Gates Cambridge scholarship board gives the responsibility of the first nomination of students to the various departments of applicants. The departments will put forward academically sound students they have received for the year that also meets the Gates Cambridge scholarship Criteria.
After the departments have nominated the list of students they deem eligible for the scholarship program, they will pass it to the Gates Cambridge scholarship board. The scholarship board has a committee that is responsible for accessing the applications of the nominated students. They will take the scrutiny of the student’s full application pack and shortlist the bests for an interview.
The shortlisted candidates by the committee are invited for an interview. This is in other to assess them on how they met the requirements. Afterward, the scholars are selected and awarded.
Application Timeline/ Deadline:
The scholarship application portal for the 2020 application was opened on 2 September 2019. The deadline for the application is on 9 October 2019 for the round one and either December 2019 or 7 January 2020 for the round two.
To see other information on the Gates Cambridge scholarship, kindly visit the scholarship website;