The University of Manitoba offers graduate studies fellowship worth more than 2 million dollars every year. The graduate fellowships are available for international students who are interested in undertaking a graduate course at the University of Manitoba. The University of Manitoba is one of the prestigious public research institutes in Canada. It is located in Manitoba. Thus, the university is the first university in Western Canada.
The University of Manitoba is very notable for her research programs, thus, one of the recommendable schools to undertake a research program in Canada. The University of Manitoba is mainly concerned with the success of her students and committed to assisting them to succeed in their research programs. In the bid of this, the school has made many scholarships and fellowship programs available for both home and international students to make their study program successful.
In the university, there are external and internal scholarships and fellowships for graduate students. Thus, the University of Manitoba Graduate fellowships is among the internal awards made available for international graduate students. The fellowship award is given to students who have demonstrated and have been seen as outstanding in their academic endeavors.
Benefits of the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships:
The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships offers different award prizes concerning the duration of the graduate program of the scholar. Though, the maximum duration of any graduate support is five years i.e 60 months. Thus, a scholar can benefit from the award through his masters and doctoral program, provided he maintains his required academic performance. Below is the elaboration of the award values concerning the duration.
For masters award, the departments the students applied for or for current students of the school are responsible for deciding the duration of the award program. The maximum support that can be given to a master’s student is an award prize of $14,000 every year, for a maximum of two years. This amounting to $28,000 for the master’s program. Thus, in cases where the students have covered some months in their master’s program before getting the fellowship awards, the full scholarship award tenable for two years will not be given to students. In conditions like this; the following formats are used to award them;
- If the student has completed 0-4 months of studies, then he is still eligible to receive the funding for two years.
- If the student has completed 5-16 months of studies on his program, then he is only eligible to receive the funding for a year.
- Thus, students who have stayed over 16 months of their master’s program are no longer eligible for this fellowship award.
The doctoral award or funding is been given to students fo a maximum of four years. A doctoral award worth $18,000 is given to each scholar every year to support the scholar’s doctoral program. The award lasting for three years, thus amounting to $72,000. In regards to the scholarship award concerning the covered duration of the students, is elaborated below;
- If the student has completed 0-4 months of studies, then he is still eligible to receive the funding for four years.
- If the student has completed 5-16 months of studies on his program, then he is only eligible to receive the funding for three years.
- If the student has completed 17-28 months of studies on his program, then he is only eligible to receive the funding for two years.
- If the student has completed29-40 months of studies on his program, then he is only eligible to receive the funding a year.
- For students who have stayed over 40 months of their doctoral study program, they are no longer eligible to apply for the fellowship.
Also, Check: Ontario Graduate Scholarships Mcmaster University
Number of Awardees:
The number of students usually granted this fellowship program is not usually specified. But the award is usually granted based on merits.
Any student applying for a graduate study at the University of Manitoba is eligible for this fellowship program. Thus, the scholarship is open to international students from any country.
To be eligible for the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship program students must meet to the conditions below;
- The students must have applied to or undertaking a full-time graduate course at the University of Manitoba.
- The student must have a minimum admission GPA of 3.0 to be eligible for the award consideration. Though the student’s departmental cutoff GPA can be greater than that depending on the department the student applied for.
- To hold the award, the student must have been admitted and must clear all necessarily required fees as a graduate student in the school.
How To Apply:
The application process for the graduate fellowship program is usually being done in the school. The application process varies with respect to departments. Hence, students are to consult their respective departments regarding the application process. The departments are responsible for making selections to the faculties on students that should be considered for the awards. Hence the scholars are being selected from there and notified for their awards.
The deadline for the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship program application is usually been disclosed by the respective departments of students and on their online portal. Thus, visit the scholarship webpage for more information.